Whenever you start to go tanning, you want to make sure that you do all you can to make your tan last as long as possible. There are plenty of elements that could make a tan fade, but here are some tips to help make sure that this doesn’t happen.
- Cold Showers: Just as it can do a lot for your circulation, cold showers will also dehydrate your skin less than a hot one would. So, in order to preserve your beautiful tan, stick with room temperature water. Also, you may wish to use restorative shower oils to aid in hydration.
- Drink Water: Keeping your body hydrated from the inside out will also make a difference with your tan. When your skin gets dry and flakes, this will cause the outer layer (which has the color) to shed faster. Preserve your skin by consuming lots of water!
- Eat The Right Foods: Certain foods can help to prolong a tan. Foods that contain tyrosine will aid in the production of melanin, which is what helps to make the darker colored skin. Foods that have tyrosine are: turkey, egg whites, cottage cheese, salmon, soy, almonds and avocados.
- Pat Dry: When you are drying off, whether it’s getting out of the pool or the shower, make sure to gently pat your skin dry, instead of being rough with your towel.
- Hair Removal: Avoid waxing once you have a tan. This form of hair removal isn’t as gentle as other methods. In order to prolong your tan, stick with shaving.
These are just a few of the things that you could do in order to keep that wonderful glow of yours. If you can follow these tips, then you can enjoy your tan for much, much longer.
When going for a spray tan, you want to make sure that you prepare your skin as much as possible so that you can achieve a great natural tan. Here are a couple of things that you can do prior to your appointment to give you the best look possible.
This is a very important step. You will want to exfoliate your skin the night before your appointment. The color will develop on a clean surface better free from buildup of past spray tans.
Use either a loofah or an exfoliating pad to help you scrub your body. You may need to invest in loofah on a stick to help you scrub your back. Use a product that has sea salt in it or one that specifically says it has exfoliating agents in it. Make sure to spend extra time on rough patches such as elbows and knees for an even spray tan the next day.
Make sure you shave unwanted hair before you go for your spray tan. If you shave soon after, your spray tan will not last as long. Also, shaving all the affected areas before the spray means you can wait a little longer after receiving your tan to shave, increasing their longevity.
Make sure not to use lotions, creams, or deodorants that could interfere with the spray tan. This also applies to makeup and perfume. This can wait until after you go in for your spray tan.
Wear loose fitting clothing for your spray tanning appointment. Do not wear tight jeans, boots, or anything with tight straps because this will affect the color as it is developing over the next 6-8 hours. Also stay cool- no sweating while your spray develops!